Cant really believe I have done this for 5 years now. Interesting to look back and see the type of things that consistently make my top 10.
Also I realise that I need to see more concerts, so glad I have my blink182 tickets ready for 2011.
So the top 10 for 2011 in no particular order are:
- Katelyn She is not the first baby to be born to my friends, but has been the closest for me. I was practically there when the parents met and when she was conceived. Holding here I thought a flood of emotion would hit me like when a friend has a new car, luckily it didn't.
- Aikido Sugawara Sensei workshop in Edinburgh Feb, I am glad my sensei Andy pushed me to going to this. My level of Aikido is very low to expect to get a vast amount from the sessions, the experience of just being there was enough. The couple of times Sugawara worked with me he raised a smile and tapped my foot to indicate I should breakfall with the other one. The only way I can explain it, is to say its probably the Aikido equivalent to meeting the pope (or a bishop of something).
- Rage for the Revolution, RATM Finsbury Park London Rage Against the Machine has always been on my list of bands to see live. It always seemed unlikely as they no longer make records together. With the Rage for the Revolution thing when they got the xmas number one in the UK they promised a free gig in London. Luckily and with help from friends all over the world clicking refresh on the ballot page I managed to get two tickets. RATM comes up in so many aspects of my life. As a preteen I remember my sisters friends listening to the self titled Rage Against the Machine album. Then as a teenager myself the Battle of Los Angeles came out and my hardcore buddies all had in playing in there cars along with Korn. Rage really got drilled into me once I started strength training, any strength gym you walk into worth its salt will have some RATM tracks in it playlist. Not to mention the Vegan links, the bassist (Tim Commerford) is vegan and the revolutionary message the band has.
- Buy, briefly owning and losing a car.I fear I took it (the car) for granted as I don't even have a photo of it. I could "steal" a photo of it from the new owners facebook page but that would be silly. The car itself was a little beauty the most reliable I have ever owned. She started every time unless the battery was flat and even then would be sparked up with my little yellow friend the battery pack. My car ownership record is not tanished as it was Italian. So when I get on Top Gear and they try embarrass me about cars I have owned, they will be shocked to know I have only ever owner Italian "sports" cars.
- Unit20 First Timers Strongman Comp I really got into Powerlifting and strength training in 2010. The comp was very much only the beginning and was the climax of 6 months training. The fact I can deadlift over 200kg still amazes me today and probably will for the rest of my lift. I might not be able to deadlift 200kg everyday, but one day in Edinburgh in 2010 I did it 5 times in a row, with friends screaming at me "COME ON BALDY!". That is what life is about and you cant buy that as an experience weekend.
- Spanish Wedding
- Writing my last exam ever, obviously I will write other exams. Probably stupid little Microsoft exams to get a certificate that costs a fortune and will only last for 6 months. None of those exams will matter though because my next step in academia is a PhD, which will be purely research/thesis based. The last exam I wrote I went into pretty confidently and wrote in Mc Ewan hall. Sitting there writing your exam really puts you in your place.
- Completing a Dissertation and Contributing code to the Open Source community
- Edinburgh Festival with my mum
- MSc Graduation in Edinburgh
The highlight of the trip has got to be driving back from town in a taxi playing Counting Crows Mr Jones. If it was holiday in Spain it would have been even more appropriate, but might have been too much.
To be fair the trip was a complete amazing experience from start to finish. Including a high speed road trip half way across Spain from Madrid to .
Staying at an amazing hotel, then being involved in a very Spanish wedding.
What would a year be without a little bit of fun and the chance to make money. It is like a party but with a bit of competition playing poker and the chance to strike it rich. I always use http://www.partypoker.fr/ when I have the urge to play online poker.